Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Parent Paradox

Supplies Used: Pumpkin Spiced Latte Kit - Dani Mogstad; Falling for You, Paint Swashes Vol.2 - liv.Edesigns; Vintage Photo Frames No.2, Neutral Date Bits No.1 - Katie Pertiet

The other night the boys and I went for a quick walk down to the neighborhood cul-de-sac after dinnertime. Since the road isn't busy I let them go a bit ahead of me. Both kids were running, of course, and it occurred to me that I should probably tell them to stop. But I didn't stop them, I just let them go, and Carter fell and scraped his knee. As I was carrying him home I realized what a paradox it is to be a parent. You want to protect the kids from any sort of pain or disappointment, but to do that would deny them the experiences that make them wiser and braver later in life. The "Anyway" poem written by Mother Theresa came to mind and I used my own variation for the journaling on this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, but keep it classy please!